Trust yourself and tread your own path
Have the confidence to try your own thing. Don't feel you have to follow the latest trend or en vogue pre-compiler You may be harbouring the next trend in web design yourself, give it chance to escape.
Form follows emotion
Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users. It is not about the effects, the jQuery or the latest plugin and definitely not how the page adapts as you resize it in your browser ( we all do this don't deny it). It is about improving the users experience and helping them achieve their goals.
People will be more convinced by emotion than by rationale. The human brain is set up to simultaneously process two kinds of information: the emotional and the empirical. But in most people, emotional responses are much stronger than the rational response and usually take over. As a designer you can tap into this emotional response, although well formed markup and the like is really important it is not the be all and end all to a user achieving their aims.
Make and do
Make models, build wireframes and tests along the way. They will help direct you more than a concept alone which has no feeling. The two go together. You hear of people saying you shouldn't use Photoshop any more, of course you should... but you should also make prototypes, wireframes and develop the feel of the thing you are trying to create.
Go above and beyond
Do more than the client asks for. Do what they would like to ask for if they had the courage to do so! The client may want one thing but you should use your experience and knowledge to help nudge them in the right direction, they are paying for your skills as designer/developers which includes telling them if they are wrong.
This year's posts
- - Funny Phonics - An alternative alphabet
- - Inktober - A drawing a day for 31 days
- - Crazy 8s - How they can help any designer
- - Personas, you don’t need them… but they help!
- - Screen Printing Fun
- - The countdown begins
- - In search of perfection
- - Going back to basics with Jekyll
- - The last ride of the year
- - Apprenticeships in the Design Industry
- - It's time to stop being a busy fool
- - The Business of Web Design 2014 #tboWD
- - My favourite band I never saw...
- - My first Parkrun
- - I am sorry Internet Explorer.. this cannot go on!
- - Know when to hold them... know when to fold them.
- - And that is why you don't want to spend too much time swimming and snorkelling!
- - Summer Solstice 2013 - A #microadventure
- - Getting Started with Responsive Design
- - It is OK to hoard... you never know when you might need something!
- - 10 ways to back up your design work
- - 10 ways the role of 'web designer' is changing
- - Time waits for no one
- - Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users
- - Can you really design purely in a browser?
- - How do you support your ongoing clients with website updates/support? Do you use a retainer or charge hourly?
- - There is something about the darkside...
- - #ecomchat - Enhancing Ecommerce with Mobile
- - The problem with Getting things done...
- - Taking the blinkers off