People say a tidy desk tidy mind and the like and as much as I try to adhere to this tidy and clean way of existing I can't help stashing bits and bobs that seem like they might be useful in the future.
Don't get me wrong I'm not like a person you would see on the telly living in filth with 3feet of rubbish everywhere but as a designer I have a habit of keeping pictures, magazines and images in a badly organised fashion. I also love gadgets and so there are countless old phones, hard drives and pc/mac bits and bobs like an elephants graveyard.
So today I was so pleased that for once my stashing and hoarding turned up trumps.
I arrived into work to a "no wireless connection" icon, no network, no interweb... things were not looking good. So began some rudimentary bug chasing to try and find out what the problem was.
Finally after some messing around I determined that the switch that ties the wireless box, load balancer and servers together was not working. I was just about to set off to PC World to find a replacement when I thought... "my Aladdins cave of wires!". A quick rummage round and I found a power adaptor from a long since redundant switch which by chance fitted and suddenly everything was alright with the world again.
For a change instead of feeling guilty about my stash I now feel vindicated! :)
This year's posts
- - Funny Phonics - An alternative alphabet
- - Inktober - A drawing a day for 31 days
- - Crazy 8s - How they can help any designer
- - Personas, you don’t need them… but they help!
- - Screen Printing Fun
- - The countdown begins
- - In search of perfection
- - Going back to basics with Jekyll
- - The last ride of the year
- - Apprenticeships in the Design Industry
- - It's time to stop being a busy fool
- - The Business of Web Design 2014 #tboWD
- - My favourite band I never saw...
- - My first Parkrun
- - I am sorry Internet Explorer.. this cannot go on!
- - Know when to hold them... know when to fold them.
- - And that is why you don't want to spend too much time swimming and snorkelling!
- - Summer Solstice 2013 - A #microadventure
- - Getting Started with Responsive Design
- - It is OK to hoard... you never know when you might need something!
- - 10 ways to back up your design work
- - 10 ways the role of 'web designer' is changing
- - Time waits for no one
- - Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users
- - Can you really design purely in a browser?
- - How do you support your ongoing clients with website updates/support? Do you use a retainer or charge hourly?
- - There is something about the darkside...
- - #ecomchat - Enhancing Ecommerce with Mobile
- - The problem with Getting things done...
- - Taking the blinkers off