Are web designers/developers prone to becoming busy fools? The thought crossed my mind as I chatted to a friend about some upcoming projects. We always seem to be so busy, but busy not actually getting things done.
Whether we are spending time trying to learn/keep up with new technologies, or time trying to develop processes into our workflow there seems to be an endless list of things just sapping the time away. Then there is being driven down on costs and being too nice and doing things for free/cheap, suddenly you are spending an evening working on something you are not even going to get paid for!
Here I come to save the day! Enter GruntJS
For a change one of those new technologies that I needed to get round to looking at has actually turned out to be a real time saver, and to make it even better it was easy to get to grips with and build into my working practices. I heard about GruntJS by chance thanks to the Sass newsletter (check it out), I know it has actually been around for a while and there are other tools like Gulp but it was next to look at on my "yet another thing to learn" list.
GruntJS is a task automater, so with a little set up at the beginning of a project you can set up SCSS compiling, image optimisation and script minification. It can even be set up to ftp on save too though you would only want to do this to a development environment!
The added bonus of using this method is you can really focus on crafting your Sass, breaking it into various partials works so well now you don't have to go back to your main scss and compile it. Now I just need to decide what to use all this freed up time for!
This year's posts
- - Funny Phonics - An alternative alphabet
- - Inktober - A drawing a day for 31 days
- - Crazy 8s - How they can help any designer
- - Personas, you don’t need them… but they help!
- - Screen Printing Fun
- - The countdown begins
- - In search of perfection
- - Going back to basics with Jekyll
- - The last ride of the year
- - Apprenticeships in the Design Industry
- - It's time to stop being a busy fool
- - The Business of Web Design 2014 #tboWD
- - My favourite band I never saw...
- - My first Parkrun
- - I am sorry Internet Explorer.. this cannot go on!
- - Know when to hold them... know when to fold them.
- - And that is why you don't want to spend too much time swimming and snorkelling!
- - Summer Solstice 2013 - A #microadventure
- - Getting Started with Responsive Design
- - It is OK to hoard... you never know when you might need something!
- - 10 ways to back up your design work
- - 10 ways the role of 'web designer' is changing
- - Time waits for no one
- - Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users
- - Can you really design purely in a browser?
- - How do you support your ongoing clients with website updates/support? Do you use a retainer or charge hourly?
- - There is something about the darkside...
- - #ecomchat - Enhancing Ecommerce with Mobile
- - The problem with Getting things done...
- - Taking the blinkers off