It seems like an endless quest... to try and refine process and structure to optimise the way you work.
In my industry nearly all aspects are constantly changing. The way we build websites the software we use and even the hardware set ups we have. This is a great thing and is one of the reasons I love my job but it also leaves you in a near permanent state of confusion.
Should I use Grunt or Gulp? What is the best way to set up my development files? One monitor or several? It is an endless quest.
Seems like I have stubled upon something...
For the last 10 years I have been a hybrid user using both a PC and a Mac. I realise now that this was a convoluted way of working. Always trying to shift between operating systes and shortcuts. With the likes of Browserstack there is no need to be using 2 machines and with a little persuasion from one of our designers I decided to try going Mac only.
To start with I was a bit worried, and then as a few days past I started to embrace multiple desktop setups and the addition of Albert from the App store to make searching better. The final piece of the jigsaw was remembering I had bought Duet Display ages ago and done little with it. Suddenly I now had a third monitor, allowing me to split my working functions up.
The laptop screen contains conversation, Slack, email etc. The iPad in the middle governs time management and tasks and then my 24" screen is the working window. This seperation will hopefully give me more focus when coding and hopefully make me more efficiant.
Only time will tell if this is the case...
This year's posts
- - Funny Phonics - An alternative alphabet
- - Inktober - A drawing a day for 31 days
- - Crazy 8s - How they can help any designer
- - Personas, you don’t need them… but they help!
- - Screen Printing Fun
- - The countdown begins
- - In search of perfection
- - Going back to basics with Jekyll
- - The last ride of the year
- - Apprenticeships in the Design Industry
- - It's time to stop being a busy fool
- - The Business of Web Design 2014 #tboWD
- - My favourite band I never saw...
- - My first Parkrun
- - I am sorry Internet Explorer.. this cannot go on!
- - Know when to hold them... know when to fold them.
- - And that is why you don't want to spend too much time swimming and snorkelling!
- - Summer Solstice 2013 - A #microadventure
- - Getting Started with Responsive Design
- - It is OK to hoard... you never know when you might need something!
- - 10 ways to back up your design work
- - 10 ways the role of 'web designer' is changing
- - Time waits for no one
- - Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users
- - Can you really design purely in a browser?
- - How do you support your ongoing clients with website updates/support? Do you use a retainer or charge hourly?
- - There is something about the darkside...
- - #ecomchat - Enhancing Ecommerce with Mobile
- - The problem with Getting things done...
- - Taking the blinkers off