How hard is it to keep up with everything, it's like an ever advancing wave!
I know we should be totally used to this if like me you have worked in the web industries for a good few years but everything seems to be going at such a pace right now.
Perhaps it is just the effect of some of the "founders" of the modern web talking about how it is so much more involved now and almost impossible to be a generalist in the web.
I want to be a unicorn!
I still fully believe you can be an all round web designer in the current enviroment, you just need to dip into everything but focus on the important stuff.
I am sure we all have an inbuilt limiter which means at any given time something is missing out as focus is elsewhere. If a work deadline comes up then maybe my personal project might have to go on hold or using your downtime to catch up on new technologies is the next to suffer. It is like permanent plate spinning.
You could easily let this get you down, but I have found of late it is easier to deal with if you accept that not everything is going to get done in the time frame you envisage. This may seem like a very obvious statement and, I guess it is but I and a lot of other people I know continue to swim against the flow and end up getting less and less out of all the things they are trying to achieve.
It isimportant to remind yourself that you dont need to know everything at any given time, by the very nature of our jobs we are always honing our learnng skills and so when that next important tech come knocking you will be able to get up to speed in no time.
This year's posts
- - Funny Phonics - An alternative alphabet
- - Inktober - A drawing a day for 31 days
- - Crazy 8s - How they can help any designer
- - Personas, you don’t need them… but they help!
- - Screen Printing Fun
- - The countdown begins
- - In search of perfection
- - Going back to basics with Jekyll
- - The last ride of the year
- - Apprenticeships in the Design Industry
- - It's time to stop being a busy fool
- - The Business of Web Design 2014 #tboWD
- - My favourite band I never saw...
- - My first Parkrun
- - I am sorry Internet Explorer.. this cannot go on!
- - Know when to hold them... know when to fold them.
- - And that is why you don't want to spend too much time swimming and snorkelling!
- - Summer Solstice 2013 - A #microadventure
- - Getting Started with Responsive Design
- - It is OK to hoard... you never know when you might need something!
- - 10 ways to back up your design work
- - 10 ways the role of 'web designer' is changing
- - Time waits for no one
- - Websites are not for designers and developers, they are for users
- - Can you really design purely in a browser?
- - How do you support your ongoing clients with website updates/support? Do you use a retainer or charge hourly?
- - There is something about the darkside...
- - #ecomchat - Enhancing Ecommerce with Mobile
- - The problem with Getting things done...
- - Taking the blinkers off